Tuesday 17 July 2007

So there I was, facing Dr. Magnetic's fiendish death ray, when suddenly - oh, yeah, right, I'm not supposed to tell people about that (sorry Clark)...

I watched Rio Grande the other night on Sky Movies; I never miss one of John Ford's films, no matter how often I've seen it, and the Cavalry trilogy are special favourites.


Anyway, this broadcast was signed for the deaf, with a translator appearing in the lower right corner of the screen.
He would, as unobtrusively as possible, render the sign language for whatever dialogue was taking place, disappearing during action scenes.

So there's this scene where the regimental singers come around to serenade Maureen O'Hara (and let's face it, who wouldn't?), and sing "I'll Take You Home Again Kathleen", and the translator appears and signs the lyric for the audience.

No problem.


Later, General Sheridan arrives at camp and is hosted to dinner by Col. Yorke and his wife, and the officers of the regiment. Afterwards, Sgt-Major Quincannon (the always excellent Victor McLaglen) arrives with the singers again, who this time perform "The Bold Fenian Men" for the visiting general, who is visibly moved.

The sign translator, however, stood rigidly, a bland smile on his face, otherwise moving not a muscle.

Curious.

I was thinking maybe it might be some form of censorship, this being a channel broadcasting mainly to Britain and Ireland - but surely not? Maybe the translator just didn't know the words...

Anyway, it's late and I'm tired - the movie will be repeated so I'll look out for it next time.

Not cynical yet...

No comments:

A New Chapter...

 In Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country, Dr. McCoy describes himself as having been, "...for the past 27 years, Chief Medical Office...