Sunday 15 July 2007

Books of the Week

Er, sorry about this...

I was going to share with everyone what I'm reading at the moment, but instead I find myself throwing things at my TV (metaphorically speaking).

Why, you may ask?

Because UKTV Drama is showing a Doctor Who marathon this weekend, the theme being "Who's the best Doctor?"

Being an interplanetary hero without TiVo, I missed the first day, devoted to Doctors Hartnell through Davison. Today seems mostly devoted to the Colin Baker period, with McGann, Eccleston and Tennant later this afternoon. Oh, and a brief shot of Sylvester McCoy's regeneration into Paul McGann.

But six hours of Colin Baker? And Nicola Bryant in pink spandex? That's just wrong.

When I was a kid, Patrick Troughton was The Doctor, but I didn't really understand the character. Then Jon Pertwee came along and things got more interesting.

But for me, Tom Baker was Doctor Who. He brought an eccentricity to the role that made it more compelling - I rarely missed an episode...

After that it was pretty much hit-and-miss until Christopher Eccleston came along, and then it was back to the good stuff. I have a nephew who was eight when the show returned, and he loves it. He was disappointed when Christopher Eccleston left the show, but thinks David Tennant is way better. And I agree.

And while we were both sad when Billie Piper left, hey - that's how it goes, and Freema Agyeman as Martha is every bit as good a foil for the Time Lord...

Okay, it's taken a while to write this - I had to put an episode of Star Trek on ("Shore Leave", if it's important), and by the time it finished, Doctor Baker had defeated the Cybermen in their tinfoil suits and fled the jurisdiction.

Sylvester's regenerating now, so I'm off to watch...




2 comments:

Becca said...

Wow this sounds like the perfect day! I haven't seen the McGann movie since they aired it on TV here in the US and since they refuse to release the thing on DVD...

Shore Leave is a fantastic episode of TOS. I recently caught the animated sequel to this episode. Those animated episodes were so weird. James Doohan did about 15 other voices than Scotty.

I'm looking forward to reading your blog! Welcome!

Captain Incredible said...

Becca - my first visitor! Thank you kindly for your comments, ma'am, hopefully I'll be around for a bit.

And may I say how much I've enjoyed reading your pages these last few months.

Curiously enough, until yesterday this blog was going to have an entirely different name -

Fate The Magnificent...

Then I found out there's already a similar page, so I started over and took my cape out of mothballs.

So it's Captain Incredible from here on out...

Oh, and the Doctor Who movie is available on DVD - you can find it on Amazon UK :-)

A New Chapter...

 In Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country, Dr. McCoy describes himself as having been, "...for the past 27 years, Chief Medical Office...